Having comfort on a flight is important beside it’s useful benefits even for Economy travellers, such as saving money by selecting a lower fare. Especially on long-haul flights where sitting for hours can be uncomfortable, and after jetlag can cause some unwanted headaches or sleepiness throughout the day. Most people choose the best option available for their budget, which commonly comes down to travelling on Economy Class, that may not be as comfortable for some, while others would really want to feel the environment and the extras of travelling on a higher class.While it’s hard to compare Economy Class to Business or First, and even harder to get the same comfort and not to mention the benefits that the higher classes known to have on Economy Class as well, it is possible to travel in a bigger comfort, just like in Premium Economy. First of all, Premium Economy is a great choice if it’s available with the selected airline, as they offer comfort extras for the passengers at an affordable ticket price. If it’s not an option, or want to save that little amount of money, here are a few tips to make Economy Class travelling as comfortable as possible.
1. The tray isn’t only going to be useful when eating, but by placing a pillow on it, it can be more comfortable to sleep on it than declining the seat, and sure the passenger behind will be thankful as well.
2. For some, it might be cold on the aircraft, especially for those sitting beside an emergency exit. Always keep a long-sleeve in the carry on, or ask the flight attendants for extra blankets on long-haul flights, if they can, they will provide extras to make the trip more comfortable.
3. On some airlines, flight attendants can be asked to provide an eye-shade for the passengers even on Economy Class, it worth a try.
4. Feeling hungry? Expensive foods at the airport won’t be the answer, but “all you can eat” on the aircraft will solve the problem. Great chance that if the food given wasn’t enough, more can be asked from the flight attendants, as well as by going to the kitchen area, or pressing the Flight Attendant Call button above, the flight attendants will provide more on the long-haul flights if the airline offers complimentary food.
5. Another food tip. For some people, airline food can cause an upset stomach , but it is most likely due to eating on the aircraft while flying at 20000 ft, as the compession has an effect on digestion. So if possible, eat before flying, and keep some medications in the carry on in case of feeling sick by the food on-board.
6. Ear plugs. Ear plugs. Ear plugs. Heard it right. Helps to sleep a lot, and even a great earphone can solve the problem, plus who doesn’t have fun listening to music? Great way to spend the time as well. Extra tip: Some airlines offer complimentary alcohol even on Economy Class, so it’s closer to higher class experience but be careful with drinking on-board. Although having a flight, or going on a vacation is about enjoying it as much as possible, but drinking too much on-board will have it’s effect spiced with more sickness by the pressure, and not even mentioning that getting access to the bathroom is way more complicated during a flight than on the ground, as during a turbulence passengers can’t leave their seats, and there might be other passengers beside who are sleeping that is making harder to access the bathroom frequently. Not even mentioning the jet-lag afterwards which might already going to be causing a headache, dehydration will make it worst.
7. Some airlines offer complimentary alcohol even on Economy Class, so it’s closer to the higher class experience, but be careful with drinking on-board. Although having a flight, or going on a vacation is about enjoying it as much as possible, but drinking too much on-board will have it’s effect spiced with more sickness by the pressure, and not even mentioning that getting access to the bathroom is way more complicated during a flight than on the ground, as during a turbulence passengers can’t leave their seats, and there might be other passengers beside who are sleeping that is making harder to access the bathroom frequently. Not even mentioning the jet-lag afterwards which might already going to be causing a headache, dehydration will make it worst.
8. Where to sit – It is important to check a seat map prior departure to make sure the flight will be the most comfortable. Most aircraft used for long-haul flights have a 3-4-3, or a 2-4-2 configuration, while narrow-body jets usually have 3-3 seats on Economy Class. It is advised to sit on an aisle if travelling alone, that way it’s easier to access the bathroom, or by choosing an emergency exit door seat the extra legroom will give some comfort especially for the taller individuals.
9. Online Check-In. Some airlines offer online check-in 24 hours prior departure, so seat selection can be done before arriving at the airport, as well as the boarding passes can be printed or downloaded on a phone, which means only the luggage’s have to be checked at the airport and much time is saved, as well some good seats might still be available rather than picking at the airport. Always check a seat map when the boarding pass is in your hand, that way the airport staff at the check-in desk can be asked nicely to change the seats if required and available. If not taken yet, maybe emergency exit door seats will be available at no charge before departure.
10. Empty bottle: It is great to keep an empty bottle with yourself, as during the security check all liquid that is over the limit has to be left there. In the transit area, shops are expensive, and who wants to pay 3-5$ for a bottle of water? There are water fountains located at most airports, so by bringing an empty bottle it can be filled with fresh water after the security check, at no fee.
Conclusion: When buying a ticket, it is very important to consider which fare to choose. For most air-travelers it is important to get the best option possible for their budget, but is also important to travel comfortably. These tips will ensure, that Economy class travelling is more comfortable, and enjoyable, but for those wanting some extra comfort, Premium Economy is a great choice on selected airlines.